We do not recommend you take a License to Carry class if you have not had any prior firearms training (i.e. private lesson, Intro to Handgun class, etc.) It is dangerous for yourself, your classmates, and our staff for you enter into the shooting proficiency portion of this class with no firearms knowledge. The LTC class does NOT teach you how to handle a firemarm; instead it covers the legal aspect for you to carry a firearm in the state of Texas. To schedule a private lesson, call 817-935-8377 or email us email@example.com. For information and dates on our Intro to Handgun classes, please click here.
- Choose a class date from our Training Calendar, create a profile and pay for your class.
- Go to https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ and fill out your DPS application to the state of Texas and pay the non-refundable fee of $40. (Certain persons are eligible to receive a discount on this fee. For more information on fees and eligibility, please see the DPS’s FAQ’s). All information you will need to have available to fill out your DPS allocation is located on the first page of the aforementioned link.
- At the end of your DPS application and your payment has processed, you will be prompted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. You will be redirected to the MorphoTrust/Identogo website to fill in the required information and pay your $10 fingerprinting cost. If you have scheduled your class out far enough, you may be able to get your fingerprints done the same day as your class. If not, you will need to make an appointment for before or after your class date. It is not guaranteed that you will get a fingerprinting appointment the day of your class and all fingerprinting locations are closed on Sundays. NOTE: you are NOT required to have your DPS application filled prior to your License to Carry class. This only needs to be done if would like to get your fingerprints done before or on the same day as your class.
- Attend your License to Carry class and take your shooting proficiency at Defender Outdoors. We take our shooting test before class so make sure you know how to shoot before you come to class. It is HIGHLY recommended that you take an Intro to Handgun course or private lesson prior to taking your License to Carry class. For a schedule of Intro to Handgun Classes, click here.
- Once you pass your License to Carry class and Shooting Proficiency, you will receive an LTC 100 Document. This document is where your instructor signs off on your class time and shooting proficiency. It is YOUR responsibility to send this in to the state of Texas via mail or email. If mailing you may send to: Texas Department of Public Safety, P.O. Box 4087 Austin, TX 78773-0245. If you would like to email, scan the document into .pdf format, then go to: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/chlatt.aspx. Then do the following
- From the first dropdown select “Handgun Licensing”
- From the 2nddropdown, select “Submit LTC Supporting Document”
- Fill in all identifying information requested (except Handgun License number as you don’t have one yet.)
- Choose .pdf
- Click “Attach”
- Click “Submit”
- You will then receive a confirmation email from the state of Texas to the email address you provided. Keep this for your records.
In 8-12 weeks you will receive your license in the mail. Defender Outdoors cannot contact the DPS for you to see the status of your application. If you would like to inquire about your application you can call (512) 424-7293 or submit an electronic inquiry to the DPS here.
Staff at Defender Outdoors Shooting Center cannot advise you on whether or not you are eligible to get your License to Carry. If you have questions on eligibility, visit the DPS’s Frequently Asked Questions page.